Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I work in pennsylvania i am a typist. a coworker sprayed…

Customer Question
I work in pennsylvania...

I work in pennsylvania i am a typist. a coworker sprayed alot of perfume on herself when i was working and i yelled that it smelled. i went to her supervisor to tell him what she did. he went to her and she said i said that she stinks. can she sue me

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Finance
9/15/2017
Financial Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Accountant replied 11 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you. While I am not a lawyer, I would say that the answer to your question is no. Whether you actually said that she stinks or not, is not grounds enough to sue you. SEE BELOW:

----------------------

If you meet the requirements for a civil action, you can sue someone for defamation, whether libel or slander, if they have written or said something bad about you. However, you must be able to prove the necessary elements of a defamation suit if you wish to collect damages.

Reasons for a Defamation Lawsuit

You may be able to sue for defamation if:

• False statements were made as if they were true.
  • The defamation caused damages.

Other than a bruised ego, I don't think the statement caused her any damages. If she is threatening to sue you, I wouldn't worry about it.

REFERENCE SOURCES:

https://injury-law.freeadvice.com/injury-law/libel_and_slander/defamatory_statements.htm

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If I have answered your question, I ask that you be so kind as to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.