Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

4 years into 5 year depreciation, contractor who was using…

4 years into 5 year...
4 years into 5 year depreciation, contractor who was using computer equipment my C corp owned went out of business and lost the equipment to his landlord. I'm guessing I can write off the balance, but don't think it's depreciation. What do I call the expense on my form 1120? On Balance Sheet, schedule L, do I simply reduce the value of the asset to zero?
C corp, operating in California. Using quickbooks, if that matters.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/2/2017
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA
I'mCustomer I'll assist.
If you make a phone call offer, I will accept and can assist now.
don't know quit what is happening here. I accidentally clicked the phone call button. Just want an online answer, please
I would treat it as a sale or abandonment for $0 received. 4797 the sale and claim the loss.Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer
is there any issue with reclaiming past depreciation if it is sold? abandoned?
You are selling for $0, so there will be no recapture.
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA
just reading 4797 instructions. disposal of assets. this swings corp form profit to loss. does at-risk limitation apply? "At­risk limitations (section 465). If the corporation sold or exchanged a capital asset used in an activity to which the at-risk rules apply, combine the gain or loss on the sale or exchange with the profit or loss from the activity. If the result is a net loss, complete Form 6198, At-Risk Limitations. Report any gain from the capital asset on Form 8949, Schedule D, and Form 6198."
I don't believe at risk limits your loss here. It's an entity test, and not enough info here to decide, but I wouldn't think it applies here. That is typically for loss corps and basis issues, not a lot from an asset sale that was already paid for.
Customer
when you say "lot from an asset sale" do you mean "Loss from an asset sale?" remember, it wasn't a sale, but an involuntary disposition as the contractor abandoned the space where equipment was
Loss from an asset sale.There is no tax involuntary disposition that I know of. The asset was loaned out and forfeited.An involuntary conversion is a theft, fire or such where insurance pays something on the sale you did not want.I suggest a sale for $0 as the asset, or the claim against the subcobtractor who borrowed the asset, was abandoned.
last dumb question... I credit the asset. What do I debit?
Debit accumulated depreciation
And debit loss on abandonment
not quite last... TurboTax says I have a carry forward "non captured net Section 1231 loss". Guessing that's an asset, the equivalent of a prepay?
It's sort of an asset. 1231 sales have a lookback rule."If the result of the first netting is a loss, all casualty gains and losses for the year are considered ordinary losses. ... This netting is required by the "lookback recapture rule", which nets the current-year net Section 1231 gain against any Section 1231 ordinary loss deductions taken in the previous five years."Not applicable to your transaction, but could be in the future.
do I show it as an asset on my balance sheet Schedule L?
I would not book it as an asset. It may never have value.