Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

10 Acres to Farm Pecan trees. Is this considered a farm? Can…

Customer Question
I'm Purchasing 10 Acres...

I'm Purchasing 10 Acres to Farm Pecan trees. Is this considered a farm?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Can I purchase a truck, utv, tractor and depreciate the value over 5 years?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Yes. Would all Labor and material to maintain the facility be an expense?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Finance
8/1/2017
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

You are in the business of farming if you cultivate, operate, or manage a farm for profit, either as owner or tenant. A farm includes livestock, dairy, poultry, fish, fruit, and truck farms. It also includes plantations, ranches, ranges, and orchards and groves.

So far - if you will run that activity with profit motive - you will be able to deduct qualified farming expenses and depreciate farming equipment.

Farmers can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses as business expenses. An ordinary farming expense is one that is common and accepted in the farming business. A necessary expense is one that is appropriate for that business.

If you hire a helper - you will be able to deduct wages and other compensation paid to the helper.

You may be able to average some or all of the current year's farm income by spreading it out over the past three years. This may lower your taxes if your farm income is high in the current year and low in one or more of the past three years.

Following publication might be very helpful

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p225.pdf

Let me know if any clarification needed.