Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I have a friend who has been in China for 4 years. He

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who has been in China for 4 years. He completed a 3 year construction job in 12/16 and was paid by a US company $2.4 Million dollars. Out of that check he had to pay his co-workers 240,000 dollars. However , he can't cash or deposit that check in China because of the amount. Therefore, he is still in China What can he do?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Finance
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/31/2017
Financial Professional: bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Does your friend have a bank account in the US?

No

Does he have an account with a bank in China that also has a branch in the U.S.?

He has no bank account anywhere. They would not let him get an account or cash the checks because of the amount.

Can he contact the US company and ask them to re-issue several checks in smaller amounts so that he can open and deposit the checks?

Can he open a bank account in China with a small amount and then ask the US company to wire the funds into the account?

For the last 15 months that company is still making money off that check. It has never been cashed. I thought the same thing. Issue smaller checks. Aren't they obligated by law to pay him? He has been to his x employer because a have an office in China but are talking like they are not going to do any kind of replacement check.
His visa will be up very shortly and he has no money.

They did pay him. It's not the company's fault that he cannot cash/deposit the check.

What about my second suggestion of opening a bank account in China with a small amount of money, and then ask the US company to wire the funds into that account?

What will happen if his visa expires.
They know he can't cash that check and also know why. You are telling me that they are not obligated to do something?
What if they issued a check for a small amount of money so he could get home and another check for the balance.

Of course, they can re-issue the check in smaller check amounts.

Can't he speak to someone in the US and tell them what's going on?

bkb1956
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast