Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My house is in a trust of which I am the grantor and my son

Customer Question

My house is in a trust of which I am the grantor and my son is the trustee. I am selling the house and going to buy a new one. How should I do this to limit my tax burden?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What do you want to know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

If this is a revocable trust, then the trust is disregarded for ta purposes.

...

Further, if you have lived in the house for an 24 months out of the five years before selling, $250,000 of the gain (500,000 if you file as married filing jointly) is completely excluded from income (IRC §121)

...

If this is an IRRevocable trust, then things are different, the trust instrument will dictate.

...

Let me know if this is an irrevocable or revocable trust.

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! It is a revocable trust.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Then yes, this is treated as a sale by you personally and the gain can be excluded, as I mentioned above.

...

At the closing the title or escrow company will have a certification form that you can sign stating that this is your primary residence, and there will be no 1099-[S or tax reporting required at all

...

UNLESS the gain ... sale price minus (purchase price plus improvements) is more than 250,000 for a single filer or $500,000 for joint filers

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the time & expertise here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane