Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

House equity gift deeds. i plan to sell my house to my

Customer Question
daughter way below appraisal price...
House equity gift deeds. i plan to sell my house to my daughter way below appraisal price. i plan to gift deed the house equity to her. How much can i give her before having penalties and how much are penalties after a certain amount?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: the house might be appraised at 350,000, i just want to get 150,000 to buy another house when available.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Finance
5/9/2017
Financial Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. You won't need to worry about any taxes or penalties. First, pursuant to Section 102 of the Internal Revenue Code, gifts are not income and thus do not need to be reported on the income tax return. Second, there will be no gift tax consequences. Recipients of gifts are not subject to gift tax. And, there should also be no gift tax due from the donor. Each donor can give $14,000 per year per person under the annual gift exclusion. In addition to that, for any amounts in excess of the $14,000 in a year, each person has a $5,490,000 lifetime exemption....which means a person can give a cumulative amount of up to $5,490,000 in gifts over and above the $14,000 annual gift exclusion amount without incurring gift tax....the donor must file a gift tax return to let the IRS know how much of the lifetime exemption is being used, but there will be no gift tax until cumulative additional gifts have exceeded the $5,490,000.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Hi. My screen indicates you've not yet reviewed my response to your question. Please let me know if you did not receive it; if you did not, I will be happy to re-send it! Thank you! Richard

Thank you, ***** ***** seed equity is going ro be around 150,000 or more. I'll report that to the IRS...

You're very welcome. You only need to report on the gift tax return (no tax, simply a report) the amount of the gift in excess of $14,000. :)

If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney