Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Can one take a "bonus depreciation" (50% depreciation in the…

Hello, can one take a...
Hello, can one take a "bonus depreciation" (50% depreciation in the first year of service) on capital improvements done to a residential rental property? This is for the 2013 tax return.
4/15/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

It depends on the improvement. Not the structure itself.

...

But bonus depreciation does cover appliances, carpeting, and blinds purchased for rental units; and office furniture, computers, and other equipment used in landlord offices.

...

It's also available for new depreciable land improvements such as swimming pools and driveways.

...

To qualify for bonus depreciation the property must be NEW and have a useful life of 20 years or less. Only new property is eligible for bonus depreciation, used property is not eligible.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents since 1986.

So again, Yes, for certain property other than the structure itself bonus depreciation is available on a 2013 return.

...

Thank you!

Lane

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Lane. How does the bonus depreciation apply to porch steps that were replaced?

As long as completely replaced, that's 15 year property, so you'll take the first year's depreciation plus 50% of cost in year one, then depreciate the remainder at the 15 year rate until fully depreciated.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much

You're very welcome