Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I drive for Uber. I realize of course that miles driven are

Customer Question
deductible and I obviously need...
I drive for Uber. I realize of course that miles driven are deductible and I obviously need to keep a mileage log. As far as I know all I need to do is log my start and finish miles for each shift I drive. Creating a log for the start and finish destinations for each trip I take and the mileage for each trip would be extremely cumbersome. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Finance
1/2/2017
Financial Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Does Uber provide you with any documentation regarding the mileage that you drive?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not that I am aware of
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Within the Uber driver app there's a log of each trip we make but it would be a lot of work to manually type each start address into a spreadsheet and destination's are not always shown in the app meaning even more tracking as I'd need to write down on in book while out driving. Lyft doesn't provide start or finish destinations after the fact so those would have to be written in on the fly and then added to a spreadsheet each day by me

Ideally you would want to keep a log or your beginning and ending locations. The Uber app should provide you the mileage information. You would also want to pick up the mileage that you drive to pick up a customer. A spreadsheet with all of the destinations would provide the most support if audited. If you record the mileage on a calendar (beginning and ending) along with the information on the Uber app would be sufficient to support your mileage. Can you download the Uber app information to a hard copy. My concern would be what if this information was not available down the road. For Lyft you would need to keep a more detailed log.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor