How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 1848
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was the head of household, then we lost our physical home

Customer Question

I was the head of household, then we lost our physical home and moved in with someone else- but my household still functions and operates separately. Am I still the head of my household on my taxes this year?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: If my household needs to file separately instead, if I payed for over 85% of my grandson's needs, can his mother still claim him? If so, what do I to note the money I have spent on him.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

According to IRS publication 501. To claim Head of Household you would need to meet the following qualifications.

You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. ...

  • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.
  • A qualifying person lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school).
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

If you provided over 85% of your Grandson's support for the year you would be eligible to claim your grandson as a dependent. Of course, if you claim your grandson as a dependent your daughter would not be able to claim him.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if not as head of household-how should I file? This is all new to me.
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

I am assuming that you are not married. If this is the case your options would be to file as Head of Household (If you qualify) or single.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm divorced, but this is the first year that I have encountered this problem. We lost our home and my children have gotten older. However I still aid and support them financially.
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

It would depend on a few factors. Are the children that you are financially supporting still living with you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but they are now 20 & 22-
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Are they students? Do they earn more than $4,050?