Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I was the head of household, then we lost our physical home

Customer Question
and moved in with someone...
I was the head of household, then we lost our physical home and moved in with someone else- but my household still functions and operates separately. Am I still the head of my household on my taxes this year?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: If my household needs to file separately instead, if I payed for over 85% of my grandson's needs, can his mother still claim him? If so, what do I to note the money I have spent on him.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Finance
1/2/2017
Financial Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 10 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

According to IRS publication 501. To claim Head of Household you would need to meet the following qualifications.

You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. ...

• You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.
  • A qualifying person lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school).

If you provided over 85% of your Grandson's support for the year you would be eligible to claim your grandson as a dependent. Of course, if you claim your grandson as a dependent your daughter would not be able to claim him.

if not as head of household-how should I file? This is all new to me.

I am assuming that you are not married. If this is the case your options would be to file as Head of Household (If you qualify) or single.

I'm divorced, but this is the first year that I have encountered this problem. We lost our home and my children have gotten older. However I still aid and support them financially.

It would depend on a few factors. Are the children that you are financially supporting still living with you?

but they are now 20 & 22-

Are they students? Do they earn more than $4,050?

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor