Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Sole proprietorship- if you sell a fully depreciated asset,

Sole proprietorship- if you...

Sole proprietorship- if you sell a fully depreciated asset, does that money show up as income ? If so, where ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Question above

12/15/2016
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. The sale of a business asset that is fully depreciated would appear on Form 4797. You would have depreciation recapture on the sale. Depreciation recapture is taxed at 25%.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Prompt, efficient service.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today. It was my pleasure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Continuation- then where does form 4797 go ? Into Schedule C or elsewhere ?

There 4797 is a separate form from the Schedule C. The gain from the Form 4797 would flow to page 1 of the 1040 (line 14).

Mark Taylor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you !

It was my pleasure.