How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4543
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-wife has received a judgement against a credit card

Customer Question

My ex-wife has received a judgement against a credit card debt from 2006. In our divorce decree, I am responsible for this debt. I'd like to try and offer a settlement on this judgement (probably a difficult request); however, should I hire an attorney to approach the lawyer handling the judgement, and what is my probability of my opposition cooperating?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 8 months ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

There are two things you can do. First, it is always better to hire a professional attorney who can represent you and approach anyone for the outstanding debt settlement.

Now, coming to the core of your question. I believe, you should begin with hiring an attorney but instead of approaching the counter party, if you know who the creditor is or who the collector is, try and settle out the amount with them directly if the judgment so permits. It is more likely that they will co=operate.

Having said this, if this does not should feasible, then you should hire a attorney to try and approach the counter perty lawyer who is handling the judgment.

However, this should be attempted only after you exhaust the first option.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,