Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I'm exploring an online business opportunity and have yet to

Customer Question

Hi - I'm exploring an online business opportunity and have yet to register a business name. I have already paid for web design and logo design. Am I still able to claim these start up expenses after I register the business later down the track, or do I have to register the business first? Thanks
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not at this stage
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help here.

...

What matters about taking the startup costs is that you're "in business."

...

Many sole-proprietors, for example, (what any business owner is that hasn't formally registered with the Secretary of state), never register.

...

(not a great idea for risk management purposes)

...

But from a tax perspective the business just must be a going concern ... that means "open for business."

...

IRS will say whether you are open for business is a "all facts and circumstances test," but the place where that MUST be the case is when you have revenue.

...

(IRC §162)

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at ALL, before rating me.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating using the Stars on our screen (and clicking submit).

Otherwise I'm not compensated for the time here.

...

Thanks!

Lane

...
I have a law degree, with electives in Tax Law, Estate law, Corporate law, and business planning … an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.