Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I paid a fortune in taxes for my retail business last year.

Customer Question
Hi! I paid a fortune...
Hi! I paid a fortune in taxes for my retail business last year. Any suggestions on items I should purchase to hopefully offset some of the expense this year???
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Finance
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/28/2016
Financial Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Congratulation on your successful year. If you purchase equipment you would benefit from section 179 expense (accelerated depreciation). You would be able to immediate write off up to $500,000 in equipment. Of course, to be able to do this you must have taxable income in this amount. For instance, if you taxable income was $400,000 and you purchased $500,000 of equipment you would be able to claim a section 179 expense of $500,000. You would only be able to use $400,000 in the current year. The remaining $100,000 would carry forward to the next year. If you had $700,000 in income you would be able to apply the entire $500,000 to reduce your income to $200,000. Of course this strategy only makes sense if you need this equipment.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor