Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

Is there a mutual fund that does tax loss harvesting like

Customer Question
Wealthfront or Aperio? Aperio requires...
Is there a mutual fund that does tax loss harvesting like Wealthfront or Aperio? Aperio requires $10M minimum and Wealthfront will only put 35% of your money in the direct tax loss harvesting setup, so I'm wondering if there's a mutual fund or any other way to get the direct indexing tax loss harvesting that Wealthfront and Aperio do? I want to replicate the S&P500 or similarly broad market index and want stocks that go down within those 500 to be harvested for tax losses. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Finance
10/19/2016
Financial Professional: TaxRobin, Senior Advisor replied 1 year ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

I do not know if it is the same as the 2 you mentioned but Fidelity has a harvesting tool.

The use of harvesting is no more than selling those that will show loss (most advise to look to short term losses against gains die to the tax rate on short term gains) to offset gains.

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/personal-finance/tax-loss-harvesting

The above is a link to the Fidelity page

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Robin. I have checked out that tool, but it doesn't do what I want. I want a mutual fund that does tax loss harvesting like Wealthfront or Aperio. That is just a tool that identifies stocks in your account that you can sell for tax losses. I want a mutual fund that will buy all 500 stock on the SP500 and then automatically sell each losing stock and replace it with a comparable, so that I can harvest the losses.

I see, you want something that does all the work for you. I am sorry but I do not know of any that would act as a virtual broker.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm looking for something just like Aperio, but without the $10M minimum! Wealthfront comes close, but they don't offer this product as a stand-alone. They just do it on 35% of your portfolio with them.

If I come across one I will forward that to you

TaxRobin
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor