How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Financial Expert
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 7116
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small interior design business.(extremely small)

Customer Question

Hello. I have a small interior design business.(extremely small) I'm a sole proprietor LLC. I do mostly small scale decorating and consults.
I'd like to start offering some wares, i.e., refurbished home decor, accents, candles, textiles etc. I would only be offering these items at events I host in my home, at parties or on my website. I live in NYS, Nassau County.
Do I need a vendor license? I have completed re-sale certificates to trade-only vendors individually such as fabric and furniture companies. Is there another kind of re-sale certificate I should complete.
Thank you for your time.
Kind regards,
Erin Andrews
Bellmore, NY
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.

You must register with the State of New York as a Retailer and collect Sales Tax and file Sales Tax Return with the state. The frequency of the Sales Tax Returns that you must file and forward the sales tax that you have collected will depend upon the estimate of the annual sales tax that you expect to collect which is part of the registration process. Although it may be difficult for you to estimate the sales tax you will collect, it is a requirement for you to make your best "guess" for registration purposes. The more you estimate, the more frequently you must file. So, just make your best guess, as that is all that it is; it really doesn't affect anything except the frequency of the returns, ie. monthly, quarterly or annually. Keep in mind that once you register, you must file all returns even if there was no sales tax collected during the period. This is a mistake many small businesses make, ie. not filing if there is no tax collected during the period. You still must file the return indicating that no tax was collected.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

I see that you are not online. I will be out of the office this afternoon, so if you have any questions, I will respond later this evening or first thing tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

Steve G.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much, Steve. I had to take my daughter to the doctor. I am actually already registered and set up with the state and file/report sales tax quarterly. I just was unsure if I needed a separate resale or vendor license.Thanks again.Have a good day.
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.


I'm not sure if you have any other questions or not. If you are already registered with the State and are paying sales tax, there would not be any other resale certificates involved expect when you purchase products for resale from a new vendor. Other than that, any state "license" that would be required should already be in place, but normally would only apply to an individual license for "professionals". I don't know if you have some sort of professional license for what you are doing, but I doubt it. If you are conducting business in other than your own name, you would normally be required to register with your local city or town in accordance your state's "Fictitious Name Law". For example, let's say your name was Erin Smith and you were conducting business as "Erin Smith Interior Designer" or "Erin Smith Interior Design Studio" or any other such business name that includes your name. In that case, you have no issue or anything else required under the "Fictitious Name Law". If however you are conducting business as a "Sole Proprietorship" using some other name such as "Superior Designs", then you would be required to register. If "Superior Designs, LLC" is the name that you are doing business as & reporting as for Sales Tax purposes, then there's nothing else to do as the information about ownership of the LLC, etc. is publicly available. The law's purpose is so someone knows who or what entity they are doing business with and who or what entity is the responsible party should problems arise that must be settled by Court action.

If you don't have any further questions, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my share of the payment you have already made to the site.

Thanks very much for using & if you'd like to reach me again on any other questions or tax or financial topics, just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question.

Steve G.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in.

Do you have any follow-up questions or are you having any difficulties with our rating system?

I ask because sometimes it seems to act up and is confusing to customers. I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my share of the payment that you have already made to the site. Otherwise I receive nothing for my efforts on your behalf.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.


Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 months ago.


Just checking in.....................

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and/or if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,

Steve G.