Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

My credit card was hacked and I had 20 transactions on my

Customer Question

My credit card was hacked and I had 20 transactions on my business account that my credit card has reimbursed. How do I account for the debit and credits in my accounting software?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

Have you been reimbursed for all of the activity?

For the unauthorized transactions you could prepare a journal entry.

Unauthorized Transactions $5,000

Credit Card Payable $5,000

The formatting changed when I hit send.

Unauthorized Transactions $5,000

Credit Card Payable $5,000

The credit card payable is a credit of $5,000 and the unauthorized charges is a debit of $5,000. When I hit send the format changes.

Are you reimbursed these charges or do they just reverse them on the credit card statement? Assuming they are reversed you would do the opposite entry.

Credit Card Payable $5,000 (debit)

Unauthorized Transactions $5,000 (credit)

If you are reimbursed for everything then the balance in unauthorized transactions at the end should be zero.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.