Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

Accountant: When I reach 70 and 1/2 is there a way to avoid

Customer Question
for an accountant: When I reach...
for an accountant:
When I reach 70 and 1/2 is there a way to avoid the minimum payouts from my defined benefit account? By then I will have $5-6 million in IRA's and defined benefit accounts but will still be working and possibly still adding to my defined benefit account.
Tom ********
**************
*******************
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Finance
7/22/2016
Financial Professional: PDtax, CPA, MBA replied 1 year ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

There really isn't a way around the rmd rules. And you have to take distributions from both your IRA and your defined benefit accounts.

The tax rules do allow Roth IRA accounts to escape the rmd issues, so if you wanted to convert some, and pay the current tax, that might be value you save for your estate, since it could grow without you ever needing to take an rmd.

Sorry I didn't have a better solution. Please rate my assistance to complete your request. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA