Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

I need to fill bankruptcy on my credits cards and medical

Customer Question

I need to fill bankruptcy on my credits cards and medical bills
What chapters would you recommend, and where would I start? , Thank you
Category: Finance
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 11 months ago.

Dear Bankruptcy,

In general terms, if you have sufficient funding for some repayment, usually that is when you have steady income and the amount passes the standard living expenses, etc., then, you will be qualified for Chapter 11.

If you have no sources to pay any at all, or very little below the living standard, then, you will be qualified to file Chapter 7.

For both types, your assets, i.e., the things you own, will play a part of importance, as well.

Instead of going in to file one of your choice, your starting point should be consulting with a bankruptcy attorney to discuss the pros and cons and to see which ones you qualify and which ones are more proper.

If you absolutely cannot afford an attorney, consult with a pro bono attorney. Go to the federal bankruptcy court clerk's office that is the closest to you, they usually have local attorneys volunteer to help pro se litigants. It is because it is common that people who files bankruptcy cannot afford attorneys. They usually have schedules for the people in need to sign up.

However, bankruptcy attorneys give free initial consultations, too. See whether you can get a positive referral from someone. You may want to consult with several attorneys and see which one you like. They know how to charge clients facing bankruptcy.

In sum, is it really not want we want or prefer, it is what we qualify under the law. You also want to consider not only the past debt, but do you have current debt, continued medical treatments with bills accumulating?

Hope this answer your question. Please feel free to continue with follow up questions. Otherwise, I am ready to be evaluated by you for your satisfaction on my answer to your question.

Regards,

Fiona Chen, MPA, PH.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP