Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

I am trying to pull a P&L by Job and then add a detail that

Customer Question

I am trying to pull a P&L by Job and then add a detail that shows each employees wage cost per job... Possible?
Category: Finance
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 1 year ago.

Yes - all depends on the software. What software are you using.

On QuickBooks:

1. From the Reports menu -> choose Custom Transaction Detail Report (the Modify Report:Custom Transaction Detail Report window may or may not automatically appear; if it does not, click the Modify Report button)
  2. On the Display tab, navigate to the Columns section and using the scroll bar on the right of the window select (click) only the following options – Date, Num, Name, Source Name, Item, Payroll Item, Qty, Sales Price, Amount and Balance. All other items in this list that were preselected should be unchecked.
  3. Click on the Filters tab
    • in the Choose Filter block, click on Transaction Type -> from the Transaction Type drop down menu select Paychecks
    • still in the Choose Filter block, click on Account -> from the Account drop down menu -> select Multiple Accounts -> and click on each of your Payroll Expense or Payroll Cost of Goods Sold Payroll Costs accounts.
  4. Click the OK button.

Print your Report – but do not close it yet:

Right click on the image to enlarge it

Compare the report to the employees paycheck – making sure that ALL of the amounts from the Company Summary section of the Paycheck Detail are included in your report.

Right click on the image to enlarge it.

If all of your costs are included, return to the report, click the Modify Report button -> click on the Header/Footer tab -> change the Report Title to Job Cost Report with Hours & Payroll/Labor Burden Costs -> click OK. Next click the Memorize button and save it.

You can now pull up the memorized report at any time and make further modifications for a specific date range or even a specific job.

To run the memorized report for a specific job:

1. From the Reports menu -> choose Memorized Reports -> select your report
  2. Click the Modify Report button -> click the Filters tab -> from the Filters box -> click on Name -> from the Name dropdown menu select just the specific job
  3. From the Dates drop down menu -> select All
  4. Click the Refresh button

This will produce a report just for this specific job and include all payroll/labor burden costs to date. This is a valuable report to run at the end of a job.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not what I am looking for. I want the information for specific jobs and when I input the 10 or so jobs that I want this info for, the report is blank. Which is the exact same issue I was running into with the report I was using prior to submitting the question to this business.

No problem - will transfer this to another expert.

Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 1 year ago.

Dear DO,

I saw your request for a while. Would you please try in the payroll module to see whether you can assign percentage to projects using that module instead of using the report function?

I am going to put you back to the pool for other experts. But I think this may help. If this is not a reporting function, it is a cost function. It could be in cost of goods sold, too.

Regards,

Fiona Chen, CPA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got my question answered by a friend. Thanks anyway...