PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA
Experience:  Tax professional and business consultant for 35 years.
64119565

I am currently under URS Fed tax levy as my wife has failed

Customer Question

I am currently under URS Fed tax levy as my wife has failed correct tax payments for a few years. She has always been responsible for taxes. IRS agent told me that in order to lift Levy that I would need to file tax this year. (I am independent contractor ) My Question: my wife is currently till gathering info to file with an accountant.
IF I were to file as "married filing separately" Without any deductions (or not entire amt) rapidly just to appease this issue, CAN I then in a month or so AMEND (via1040A or however) with accountants help, as "miles filing jointly" WITH deductions?
Category: Finance
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

You could, but I wonder what you're trying to accomplish.

Filing a return you know overstates your tax just won't release your levy. You also likely have a substantial tax due each year with the self employment addition.

Getting the right return filed is the best solution, even if you have to act and get it done.

If an IRS revenue officer had been assigned, it is typically because you have more than one year of taxes due, or multiple years unfiled.

I have another suggestion for the future that can eliminate this issue and reduce your taxes. Incorporate, and pay yourself a wage. It eliminates the self employment tax on the income you do not pay totaled as salary. It also protects your income from IRS pursuit of your customers.

I hope this answered your questions. Please advise if you need anything further. If I have answered your questions, please leave positive feedback to complete your request. I'mCustomer