How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 2044
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an accounting question. My wife and I have a medical

Customer Question

I have an accounting question. My wife and I have a medical services company. Occasionally we will create an invoice and bill a company for a visit to their patient, but they will not pay us, or pay us a different amount other than what we billed. In the past I have applied a discount to the invoice in quickbooks as an expense to make their payment balance and close out the invoice. What should I really be doing to my invoice record in quickbooks if they fail to pay (ie go out of business or whatever) or pay me less than what they are contracted to? Two different scenarios I guess... How do I properly track those instances? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

It depends on what basis of accounting you are using. If you are using accrual based accounting you would want to reverse the invoice where the company went out of business. If there is absolutely no hope of collecting on the invoice you would want to reverse the invoice.

If someone pays less than the full amount (assuming that you will never fully collect on this invoice) you could expense it as a discount or you could hit the income account that you used on the original invoice. Either way you would achieve the same result. You may want to create a separate contra income account to easily keep track of these amounts.

If you are using a cash basis accounting these transactions should not matter since you would not recognize the income until you actually receive the cash. But you would want to account for these transactions so you do not have open invoices on your books.

Does this help? Please let me know if you have any other question or need further clarification.