How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4543
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a god child of deceased I paid the taxes owed on

Customer Question

I am a god child of deceased I paid the taxes owed on property a house that was due owed to collections no relative paid the back taxes of 9000 dollars or had any intent to pay taxes can I do something to claim ownership in Philadelphia pa.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Dear Friend,Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you. Merely for the reason that you have paid the back taxes owed does not allow you to claim any property. However, let me try and throw some light on the issues that you have raised. In Pennsylvania, if you die without a will, assets will go to your closest relatives under state “intestate succession” laws. The following gives excellent reference to this issue. I believe the deceased has died without leaving a will. In this case, usually, Children inherit everything. In your case, I believe you are the only Child. However, you are NOT a biological child but a God Child. Just as godparents are not necessarily legal guardians of their godchildren, neither are godchildren necessarily legal heirs of their godparents. If a godparent desires to leave their property to their godchildren then this must be made explicit in his or her will. As with any heir, godchildren will need to be named in the will. If a godparent would like a godchild to be the executor of his or her will then the godchild must be named as well. If a godparent dies without a will, it does not mean that a godchild will inherit anything unless this is explicitly mentioned in any will. I am sure this would help.You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.Warm Regards,