How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Preparer
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 29930
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents currently live in an assisted living facility and

Customer Question

My parents currently live in an assisted living facility and are private pay. My Mother may need nursing home care soon and would be applying for Medicaid to pay for it. My Father does not qualify medically for a nursing facility but needs the services of assisted living. I understand there are protections for spousal impoverishment of about $109,000. Does my Dad qualify for the spousal impoverishment protection as he will remain in the assisted living facility?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Spousal Impoverishment Standards fro 2016 are set as followingCommunity Spouse Resources:Minimum Resource Standard: 23,844.00Maximum Resource Standard 119,220.00Home Equity Limits:Minimum: 552,000.00Maximum: 828,000.00
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago. the Medicaid spousal impoverishment provisions, a certain amount of the couple's combined resources is protected for the spouse living in the community. Depending on how much of his or her own income the community spouse actually has, a certain amount of income belonging to the spouse in the institution can also be set aside for the community spouse's use...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.