Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

A friend of mine has applied a credit card thru agents and

Customer Question

A friend of mine has applied a credit card thru agents and the agent has lied in the application. credit card has approved. And his been using that credit card Two weeks letter Australian Tax Office has sent him a letter saying that Incorrect tax file number been reported for that particular application. What did he need to do to avoid legal matters and what is the best way to solve this problem?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Dear Friend,Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.You should not face any problem. It is a mistake and this can be rectified.Just reach out to your credit card company and report your correct TFN. Once done with this, just reply to the ATO's letter stating that since your TFN was wrongly quoted, you have taken steps to reach out to the Credit Card company to have it rectified. ATO, will not get aggressive on this issue. You are showing all bonafide intention to rectify this thing. I am sure this would help. You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question. Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is he does not have a TFN number. He gives all of his details thru a third party (his friend) and the so called agent do the application. In his mind he seriously do not know that the agent will lied in the application and put any numbers as a TFN .
Dear Friend,Hello and welcome again.Note that it is NOT mandatory to provide your TFN numbers while opening accounts or applying for credit card.So, in this case, he can, as I suggested in my earlier reply, reach out to credit card company and say he does not have a TFN and this TFN is not his. Further to this, after doing this, he can reply to ATO's letter saying that he has taken steps to rectify this.However, if possible, he should apply and get a TFN for himself. You don't have to have a TFN, but without one you pay more tax. You also won't be able to apply for government benefits, lodge your tax return electronically or get an Australian business number (ABN). I am sure this would help. You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question. Warm Regards,