How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 12059
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an retirement plan from a former employer

Customer Question

I have an retirement plan from a former employer for which I get a distribution each year now that I'm 69. 1.) I receive a 1099-R for it and 2.) the amount is automatically put into a Traditional IRA. My question is can I count the amount that is put into the IRA as a annual contribution to the IRA?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...I'm so sorry, no...If I understand correctly, what's happening here is an automatic direct rollover (which DOES keep the distribution from the retirement plan from being counted as taxable income) ... so a deduction, of sorts....But no, any contribution would have to come from other EARNED income.... I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work here.…Thank you!Lane......I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
As a follow up, that distribution (showing up on line 16a of the return as income, should also show up as a ZERO on line 16b "taxable amount")