How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 15580
Experience:  15 years of experience in financial advising with emphasis on tax issues.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad will be going to term care. and probably on Medicaid.

Customer Question

My dad will be going to long term care. and probably on Medicaid. My mom is going into independent living apartment. Can their house be rented and if so who gets to keep the rent money
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Your parents can change their use of the home to rental and they would be the ones to report the income and claim the expenses on Schedule E.

The owner of the property is the one to report rental income and claim rental deductions.