Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I recently became widowed and social security is telling me

Customer Question

I recently became widowed and social security is telling me I only get the $255 lump sum death benefit and not the survivor benefit until I am age 60. I am currently 57 with no income coming in. Since he was already retired and receiving social security why are those benefits not transferred to me. I was under the understanding that when he passed away I would receive 50% of those benefits. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'm so very sorry for you loss, and so sorry to to have to be the one to confirm this for you, but hopefully helping you have all the facts, will help you to make informed decisions going forward.

...

What you are being told is correct. A widow or widower can receive:

• reduced benefits as early as age 60 or full benefits (at full retirement age or older).

• benefits as early as age 50 if he or she is disabled AND their disability started before or within seven years of the decedent's death.

...

Also, if a widow or widower who is caring for a decedent's children receives Social Security benefits, they are still eligible if their disability starts before those payments end or within seven years after they end.

...

So, again, so sorry, there is nothing you can do until your age 60 (for regular social security survivor benefits on your husband's) unless you are disabled.

...

However, based on what you've said about your situation, you will qualify for Medicaid as a way to cover your health care.

...

Once again, I am so sorry to verify this for you.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane