Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

I am being audited. That year I got divorced and we sold our

Customer Question

I am being audited for 2004. That year I got divorced and we sold our home. My ex-husband and I filed our taxes together. In 2006 I was notified via lien that I had failed to report the sale of the home. I provided all of my documentation to a tax preparer, paid for her services, and filed again. In 2014 I was notified that I owed a LOT of money to the IRS (~$80,000). I spent several months reaching the IRS, retrieving transcripts, etc. As soon as I had as much information as I could gather I refiled my 2004 taxes. This was in August of 2014. I have since then religiously contacted the IRS and was told (via phone, in the local office, and via mail) that they hadn't gotten around to looking through my amended return. I now have an audit date in my local office towards the end of the month. I have been asked to provide all sorts of documentation including the purchase and sale of the family home, divorce paperwork, a wrongful termination for a legal settlement, etc. I have some of this paperwork but certainly not the HUD information for the home. The title company is out of business and given this was 12 years ago I have no idea what to do. I received the letter yesterday and have been calling for 2 days (multiple times) and they haven't called me back. Can they really come after me 12 years later with the expectation that I still have all this stuff?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

While you can hire an Enrolled Agent or Tax Attorney to handle this matter for you, the Taxpayer Advocate Service should be able to take on your case as well...at no cost to you. The taxpayer advocate service assists taxpayers with tax issues that have not been resolved in a timely manner. Refer to the following link for more information about the TAS.

https://www.irs.gov/Advocate

Contact them, they should be able to assist you with this matter. Of course, you always have the option of hiring a CPA, E.A. or Tax Attorney to assist you as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If not, and all is clear, please be so kind as to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.