Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

If I close a tax-deferred annuity and re-invest those funds…

Customer Question
If I close a tax-deferred...
If I close a tax-deferred annuity and re-invest those funds immediately in another tax-deferred vehicle, must I claim that amount as income on my tax return?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
3/1/2016
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

...

...

Hi - I can help here ... Not if it's done appropriately. You need to initiate what's called a 1035 exchange (similar to a 1031 exchange for capital assets, except this is specific to insurance products)

...

The insurance company you want to roll the money to will have the 1035 exchange form.

...

If you just surrender, take the cash and reinvest, you'll get a 1099-R from the current insurance company and the growth in the contract will be subject to taxes (and an additional 10% tax penalty, if you're under age 59 and 1.2).

...

let me know if you have questions

...

lane

..

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane