Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If I close a tax-deferred annuity and re-invest those funds

Customer Question

If I close a tax-deferred annuity and re-invest those funds immediately in another tax-deferred vehicle, must I claim that amount as income on my tax return?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

...

...

Hi - I can help here ... Not if it's done appropriately. You need to initiate what's called a 1035 exchange (similar to a 1031 exchange for capital assets, except this is specific to insurance products)

...

The insurance company you want to roll the money to will have the 1035 exchange form.

...

If you just surrender, take the cash and reinvest, you'll get a 1099-R from the current insurance company and the growth in the contract will be subject to taxes (and an additional 10% tax penalty, if you're under age 59 and 1.2).

...

let me know if you have questions

...

lane

..

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane