Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Can a portion of the 1031 exchange capital be used to add an…

Customer Question
Can a portion of the...
Can a portion of the 1031 exchange capital be used to add an additional rental unit to a MF property we already own? Or is it 1031 proceeds only to be used for new acquisitions not improving existing property?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
2/29/2016
Financial Professional: Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi Rick:

The gain deferment rules at IRC Section 1031 require you to acquire a new property of like-kind. The IRS doesn't allow you to use the funds to improve property that you already own.