Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

When using the IRS gh/Low rule diem and offering a lessor…

Customer Question
When using the IRS High/Low...
When using the IRS High/Low rule for per diem and offering a lessor amount to our employees, what percentage should I use to determine the M&IE portion. I was going to use 30%.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/26/2016
Financial Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

In pub 463, (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf) on page 34, it gives you the exact $ amount for the M&IE. If you are only going to use the lower rate, then that rate is $57 for M&IE.

If you have any questions, please post them here & I'll be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time & knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Am I required to use that amount, for the meals portion. It seems excessive. We want to give them $150 a day for both lodging and meals. But, we want to pay them just 75% of the meal portion on the first and last day of their trip.
If we use $57 for meals they are only getting $93 for lodging, it seems "off-balance".

You obviously have what is referred to as a "non accountable" plan, (which means you reimburse the employee without seeing their receipts,) and as long as you include the reimbursements as taxable income on their W2, then there shouldn't be a problem with how much you reimburse.

Please see below:

http://www.tax.gov/TaxabilityCertainFringeBenefits/pdf/Accountable_v_Nonaccountable_Plans_Methods_of_Reimbursing_Employees_for_Expense.pdf

Again,

Thank you for choosing justanswer.