Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

My name is ***** ***** Bumanglag. My father past away in…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** Bumanglag.

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My father past away in March 2015, can I still claim him as a dependant in my 2015 income tax retrn?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
2/26/2016
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

Yes - you may claim your father as a dependent on your 2015 tax return.
But there are certain requirements.

In particular - you must provided more than 50% of his support.
Is that true?

For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $4000 for 2015

4.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.

So far - as all these tests are met you may claim the person as dependent.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer