How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15 years of experience in financial advising with emphasis on tax issues.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about property taxes. we are in Illinois.

Customer Question

I have a question about property taxes. we are in Illinois. My mother died right after she paid the first installment of 2014 property taxes. While the estate was being settled(has not yet been finished.) I paid the second installment. This might be a moot point If I don't itemize but can I put the first installment on her taxes for last year and put the second installment on my taxes. Also my mother employed my brother as a care giver until she died in feb 2015. He got unemployment but I supported him for the rest of the year. Can I declare him as a dependent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


You can only claim the interest if you were required by the lender to pay it and you had an ownership interest in the home.

If your brother received more than $4000 in 2015 you would not be allowed to claim him. Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,000 and be claimed by you as a dependent.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The property tax is a tax paid to the cook county treasurer on the home. It is not interest.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry. The taxes paid are the same as interest on your property. The tax must be imposed on you

for your property. The tax invoice would have needed to be in your name for you personally to be allowed the deduction.

The estate can claim for taxes paid even though paid by you. Perhaps the state can reimburse you.