Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am a senior citizen struggling on Social Security and

Customer Question
Hi, I am a senior...
Hi, I am a senior citizen struggling on Social Security and really looking for a grant of about $10,000 so that I can pay my medical bills and other bills that are in arrears and be able to schedule my doctor's appointments because I will then have the money for them. Please send me to the right place....in NJ, USA! Thanks! *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
2/26/2016
Financial Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question. I am so sorry to hear about your issue! Unfortunately, there are no grants which would give you $10,000 to pay off your bills. The government does not give money to private citizens for such reasons. However, there are some things you can try first

1) Talk to your medical provider about charitable write-offs. Some will write-off a portion of your medical bill. Some have relationships with charities which will pay your bills for you (typically religious organizations such as the Roman Catholic Church).

2) See if you qualify for other benefits such as food stamps (SNAP) or HUD. This would lower your food or housing costs, bringing you more disposable income. Likewise, you can check with your utility company and phone company for reduced rates as well. Your local department of human services should be able to assist you in this endeavor, as what is available varies by state and even by metropolitan area.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.