Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

A 24 years old dependent still qualifies a parent as a Head…

Customer Question
A 24 years old dependent...
A 24 years old dependent still qualifies a parent as a Head of Household?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
2/23/2016
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

So sorry, no - as you can see here , must be Under the age of 24 and satisfy the other requirements for those over age 18 (full time student or permanently disabled

...

• Relationship: The person must be your daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson, foster child, sister, brother, half-sister, half-brother, stepsister, stepbrother, or a descendant of any of these, such as a niece or nephew.
  • Age: They must be one of the following:
    1. Under the age of 19 on the last day of the year and younger than you (and your spouse if filing jointly)
    2. A full-time student under the age of 24 on the last day of the year and younger than you (and your spouse if filing jointly)
    3. Permanently disabled at any time during the year, regardless of their age

The, of course, the rest:

...

• Support: They must have not provided more than half of his or her own support for the year (regardless of who did provide the support). Support includes food, actual or fair rental value of housing, clothing, transportation, medical expenses, and recreation.
  • Residency: They must have lived with you for more than half of the year, except for temporary absences.
  • Joint Return: They must not file a joint tax return for the year (if he or she is married).
  • Qualifying Child of More Than One Person: If they could be a qualifying child for more than one person, you must be the person who is entitled to claim the child.