How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Financial Expert
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 7197
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hope you can help me to answer a question, please. I'm

Customer Question

I hope you can help me to answer a question, please. I'm hoping to save $ on the tax I will likely need to pay when I receive a sum of money from my ex husband's tax deferred account, (NJ state employees deferred compensation plan -Prudential Insurance)it is not a huge sum, (less than 40,000) Ideally, I'd like to use those funds to help pay for my sons' college expenses in 2.5 years. What advice would you be able to give me? Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, you should be able to roll the the deferred compensation plan payment you receive into an IRA and hold the money in the IRA until you need to use it for tuition. At that point you will need to withdraw it as you need it for the college expenses, but you will want to take as little as possible so that you can spread it out & minimize the income tax and any early withdrawal penalties. You may qualify for exceptions to the early withdrawal penalties based upon your circumstances at that time as well as because of what expenses you are using the withdrawals to fund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so I assume I would need to get a traditional IRA rather than a Roth, right? If so, won't they withhold 20% off the top for tax purposes, and if I need to begin withdrawing some of that money in 2.5 years won't I pay a huge amount of penalties?
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

No. What you need to do is to ask for a "Trustee to Trustee" transfer.

Once you have the paperwork asking you what you want done with the funds or informing you how much you have coming, you need to take all that to wherever you wish to open your tranditional IRA. They will make the transfer directly from the plan to your IRA and there will be no withholding.

You won't be paying any income tax on the rollover.

When you start to take the funds out, you will pay income tax on the withdrawals, but there are exceptions to the 10% early withdrawal penalties; for example if use for college tuition and fees no penalties will apply.

So you need to follow that procedure to come out with the least amount of tax & penalties.