Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I retired from my job to take care of both of my sick

Customer Question
parents. My mom is in...
I retired from my job to take care of both of my sick parents. My mom is in a nursing home and my dad is living with me. Is there any kind of help that I would be able to get if I am the sole care taker of my dad.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
2/13/2016
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

We need to verify - if you are able to claim both your parents as dependents?
can you verify if your parents have any income?
do they file tax returns?
another issue is related to medical expenses you might pay for your parents - can you verify amounts?

For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $4000 for 2015

4.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.

So far - as all these tests are met you may claim the person as dependent.