How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Preparer
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 29954
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired from my job to take care of both of my sick

Customer Question

I retired from my job to take care of both of my sick parents. My mom is in a nursing home and my dad is living with me. Is there any kind of help that I would be able to get if I am the sole care taker of my dad.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

We need to verify - if you are able to claim both your parents as dependents?
can you verify if your parents have any income?
do they file tax returns?
another issue is related to medical expenses you might pay for your parents - can you verify amounts?

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $4000 for 2015

4.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.

So far - as all these tests are met you may claim the person as dependent.