Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a client that filed Corp in November and made s

Customer Question
I have a client that...
I have a client that filed for S Corp in November and made his election in January. Since I don't do S Corps when will his first S Corp return be due? Will it include all or part of the earnings he had in 2015?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
2/2/2016
Financial Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Under the IRS rules, S Corps, unless they fit into very narrow exceptions which would not be likely in your situation, are required to use the calendar year as their tax year. The reason for this is that S Corps are flow through entities and their individual shareholders are calendar year taxpayers. So, the S Corp will need to file a short year return for 2015 and then file the return for the 2016 calendar year in 2017.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!