Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

My 401k dropped from 110k to 86k in less than 6 mos. what…

Customer Question
my 401k dropped from 110k...
my 401k dropped from 110k to 86k in less than 6 mos. what should I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/27/2016
Financial Professional: PDtax, CPA, MBA replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA

Hi Judith. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

Unless you need the money quickly, I would say you don't need to do anything. I'm fact, this is a buying opportunity for the long term. Here's why:

The causes for the market decline are not US driven. Chinese stock market turmoil, the price of oil and market over reaction do not mean that your investments all of s sudden are bad investments. None of those things are going to last long, and investments in good companies that make money will return to or exceed prior levels.

The key of to keep an eye on the finish line. If someone told you in October that you could buy stocks at a 20% discount on January, that would have been great news. New investments will do better, and the price of oil will go back up once the excess supply is removed from the market.

My take on oil is based on reduction of supply, especially in the US by driving shale and fracking oil out of the marketplace. Once those small operators are out of the market, absorbed by ExxonMobil and others, pool will bounce back. And with it your investments.

Just be patient, and continue to invest for the long term. It's not the easiest advice to take, but the best advice.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA