Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am currently on the e3 visa living in new york. I started…

Customer Question
Hi there, I am currently...
Hi there, I am currently on the e3 visa living in new york. I started a new job last year. At the beginning of my contract I was given a check for my first two weeks of work. After that time, I was added to the payroll. I therefore now have a W2 and 1099 for 2015 from the same employer. Does this present any issues when doing my taxes? Looking forward to your response. Jenna
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
1/19/2016
Financial Professional: Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant replied 2 years ago
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

No.. that should never be a problem for you.

If you worked for an employer as an employee, but also performed work for the same employer as an independent contractor, you should get both a Form W-2 and a Form 1099-MISC after the end of the year. Report the income information from your W-2 on Line 7 of Form 1040, and your federal income tax withholding on Line 62 for the 2012 tax year. Report the income from your 1099-MISC on Schedule C. Once you complete Schedule C, report your profit or loss from self-employment on Line 12 of Form 1040.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,