Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

My son was given a Savings Bond circa 1992. We had a fire a

Customer Question
few years ago that destroyed...
My son was given a Savings Bond circa 1992. We had a fire a few years ago that destroyed everything. I just remembered the Bond recently. How do we recover this and perhaps cash it?
Marcie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
1/15/2016
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

I can help here ... All of these kinds of issues are handled by the Treaury Department through their savings bond website called "Treasury Direct."

....

See this:

...

Replacing: If your paper bond is lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated, or you never received it, you can request a substitute electronic savings bond.

Reissuing: If you want to change who is named on the bond , or if there is a major error in the names, see: Reissuing Paper EE Bonds.

Note: Bonds that we replace or reissue will no longer be issued in paper form but, instead, will be issued as electronic bonds in TreasuryDirect. Instead of replacing the bond electronically, you can ask for your bond to be cashed.

Replacing Paper EE Bonds

If your paper EE bond is lost, stolen, or destroyed, we need the following information before searching for the record of your bond:

• Bond serial number -- If you don’t have the bond serial number, provide all of the following:
    • Specific month and year of purchase
    • Social Security Number
    • Names, including middle names or initials
    • Mailing address

To request a substitute electronic bond in a TreasuryDirect account:

1. Fill out and sign FS Form 1048 (download or order)
  2. Take the filled-out form to your financial institution to sign and have your signature certified according to the instructions on the form.
  3. Mail the completed form to:

Treasury Retail Securities Site
    PO Box 214
    Minneapolis, MN###-##-####br />

Hi Marcie ... just checking back in to see if my answer helped.

..

Again, you can either have the bond reissued in paper form OR have it credited to an account at treasury.

...

Here's that form again: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/forms/sav1048.pdf

Then take that form to your bank to sign and have your signature certified according to the instructions on the form.

...

Mail the completed form to:
...
Treasury Retail Securities Site
PO Box 214
Minneapolis, MN###-##-####/p>

...

Then once you get the bond, take it to the bank and cash it, if you so desire.

...

And if you decide to have the bond credited to treasury direct account, here are the directions for redeeming:

...

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/help/TDHelp/howdoi.htm#redeem

Hope this has helped … let me know if you have questions

...

If this HAS helped, (and you don’t have additional questions on this), I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by using the stars or rating request on your screen) … … That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS