Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

I have a financial question about annuities

Customer Question

Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

Can you please elaborate more on your question so that I can attempt to assist ?

Warm Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rakhi
I bought an annuity 17 years ago and now the death benefit is quite a bit larger than the cash value. Would you happen to know why?

Dear Friend,

Yes, this happens and it is not unusual. The main reason is the age of the annuity that you have purchased. Life annuities make payments until you die. You might fear that you’ll pass away soon after annuity payments begin. To allay these fears, insurance companies offer guaranteed payment contracts that pay out for a period certain, even if you die before the period ends. The post-mortem payments go to your beneficiary. The contract may also offer a death benefit equal to or greater than the remaining cash value.

The main reason is -- your contract offers this benefit. This is one of the method of making most of the cash value and the amount of premiums that you have paid during your life time.

If you have accumulated a sizable cash value over the life of your permanent life insurance policy and do not intend to use these funds yourself, you may choose to leave a larger death benefit to your beneficiaries. How can you pull that off? It’s usually very simple. Just call your life insurance company and say that you’re interested in making a trade: You’d like to increase the death benefit in exchange for the cash value on your policy.

So, it is just that your contract offers such benefit and keeps you away and have option of NOT surrendering it and continuing with it.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,