bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast
Experience:  IRS Enrolled Agent, 18+ years of experience in tax preparation with associated finance experience.
71603090

I am having difficulties trying to cash a foreign check

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** -I am having difficulties trying to cash a foreign check drawn on a Canadian institution and no one wants to cash it in the U.S.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is for $200.00
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to General Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Finance
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to cash the Canadian check at a U.S. bank. U.S. banks require the check to be deposited and a hold is put on the funds for several days. The money will be available once the hold is lifted.

I apologize if this is not the answer you were hoping for.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that is confusing - you state s U.S. bank cannot cash and then u say funds available after a hold!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel I should have to pay for this answer! For one thing it is wrong. You CAN cash a check from another country at a US Bank! Your answer is confusing and contradictory and I don't feel I should have to pay for something that is inaccurate and confusing. Please do not withdraw funds from my account. I am very dissatisfied with the research and answer you provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I have found out that the hold a US bank puts on a foreign check can last for up to 4 weeks which is much longer than several days you stated the bank would hold it for. I am glad I found the answer to this question elsewhere and did not put faith in your answer hoping the hold would only be a couple days! Had I taken your answer to heart, I would have been so disappointed thinking I would have funds available much sooner than a month. Your answer was confusing, poorly written and not well researched. I do not wish to pay for the answer provided.
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 1 year ago.

I will forward your comments to customer service.

I apologize if you did not understand my answer.

Best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found the answer to my question elsewhere and no longer need ASK ME services. Please cancel my request and do not forward to another professional to try and answer what I already know. Thank you for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize... "Just Answer" services are no longer needed or requested at this time. I do not wish to pay for any services and do not want my question forwarded to another professional as I am dissatisfied with this service.