How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4525
Experience:  Tax professional and business consultant for 35 years.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My old job close down and my 401k was never transferred and

Customer Question

My old job close down and my 401k was never transferred and I do not know the bank they were wet. They have been closed for about 8 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

I assume you have contacted the payroll service that did the company's payroll. I'd suggest the IRS.

You can get prior year transcripts from IRS that might have the name of the payee in your records. *********** is their phone number.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

I did find another source, which covers places you might have already considered.

  1. The first and best method of locating a 401k is to contact your old employers. Ask them to check their plan records to see if you ever participated in their 401k plan. Be sure to have ready your full name, social security number and the dates you worked for them.
  2. Due to mergers, bankruptcies, relocations, etc., it's often not possible to locate a former employer. In these cases, locate an old 401k plan statement to see if it contains any contact information for the firm that administered the plan. If it does, call them and ask if they can check on your account. One other method is to contact several former employees you worked with and see if they still have any records that will help you locate the administrative firm.
  3. Most plans are required to file an annual "Form 5500" with the U.S. Government. You can search these 5500's for the name of your former employer at free websites If you can find a Form 5500 on an old plan, it will have contact information.
  4. Check with The National Registry to see if your former employer has listed you as a missing participant. The registry is a nationwide, secure database listing of retirement plan account balances that have been left unclaimed. This website is designed to help match employers with abandoned or forgotten employee retirement account balances with the former employees.
  5. You may also find information in the U.S. Department of Labor's Abandoned Plan Database. This search helps you find out whether a plan is in the process of being, or has been, terminated and the name of the Qualified Termination Administrator, who you can then contact about your account. is the cite for that list.

Thanks again from just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.