How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a letter from the IRS informing me that someone

Customer Question

I received a letter from the IRS informing me that someone else had claimed my daughter besides myself. Which turned out to be her father. So they want to know if i made a mistake and to amend. I have claimed my daughter every year, and she has always lived with me. What should i do? I dont want to make this worse
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

If she lives with you then you can claim her unless you have paperwork that says her dad can claim her. All you have to do is show the IRS that she lives with you and not her dad, and you will be just fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One problem our paper work did say every other year, he never did that was our agreement because she was with me, she just turned twenty yesterday, so i knew that was my last year. Great!!!
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry -- if it spelled out which years (a lot will say "even or odd") and if it was YOUR year, then you can still get it taken care of. If not, I wish it could have went down differently for you

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No odd or even on paperwork, he claimed my son
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then you would have to pursue it through the family court system if he should not have claimed. You get to claim her if she lived with you but it may be too expensive of an issue to pursue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree, Im more nervous about IRS, i have no reason to be, he should he has the big plumbing buisness. Wth, I dont even talk to him but yet i still get screwed!! Ty for yor help
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Please rate so that I may be paid. And do not worry about the IRS. This is EXTREMELY common.