How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Preparer
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 29799
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an odd question. I have filed self-employment taxes

Customer Question

Hello, I have an odd question. I have filed self-employment taxes for 2015 with Form 941 in the amounts of $1800 and $1500. How much will my net income be according to the taxes I have paid? Thank you. Sincerely, Gioco
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

First, if you are self-employed, you don't use 941. This is form is for employment taxes. It is filed by employer to report wages for his or her employees.

If you are self-employed you should have had filed estimated taxes. Your actual self-employment tax will be calculated on your tax return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eva,I am the business owner. The taxes paid are for myself and one employee. If I make $26k in payroll for the last quarter of this year, how many additional taxes do I need to pay?
Thank you.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Ok. How is your business structured? It is Scorp or Corporation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My business is an LLC. We are making the election to be treated as an S-corp next year.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. If you are single member LLC you are treated as sole proprietor for tax purposes. Which means you don't pay yourself salary/wages just yet. Your income is profit from the business, not wages.

If you already did, you will have to issue yourself w2 and claim it separately on your tax return or file 941X to fix it.

In addition you will have profit from the business subject to self-employment tax. Was 26K your only income? Is your filing status single? And how much of the 1800 was your federal income tax withholding?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

What 1800 and 1500 were for on 941 was for? Social security and Medicare tax? Wages paid? Federal withholding?

When you calculate 941 you start with income. I am not sure what are you asking.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out maybe somebody else can help you.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If your business entity is NOT a corporation and that is a single member LLC - which is classified as disregarded entity - you may pay wages to other employees - but should NOT pay wages to yourself.

On form 941 you will ONLY report wages paid to other employees.

Then you will file schedule C for your business - and will calculate self-employment taxes on schedule SE.

The situation will be different AFTER you elect the LLC to be classified as S-corporation.
Let me know if you need any help with reporting.