Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

Can one shareholder take 100% profit of a s corp and have it

Customer Question
on the k1?...
can one shareholder take 100% profit of a s corp and have it on the k1?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Finance
10/27/2015
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

Yes, as long as that profit has the required reasonable salary deducted from it.

...

The profit (and the salary) will be taxed, regardless of whether the profits are physically distributed or not, however, as the S-Corp is a passthrough

I'm assuming of course that there IS only one shareholder

Questions?

its a S coprp and it 2 shareholder but only one shareholder wane take on income

Yes, they can agree that only one will take the income, but the K-1 profits have to be taxed based on ownership% ... this is a fundamental part of corporate structure.

...

AND this would mean that the owner that did take a distribution would be lowering his/her tax basis

how do i make it on the k1

50/50 if they each own 50% ownership

...

Agaon profits must be allocated and taxed based on ownership percentage (no of shares owned)

...

Then if only one person takes an actual distribution of money (something there should be shareholder agreement to support) that shareholder will be lowering their basis by the amount of the distribution,

...

which will make any future gain on sale higher for this person AND have to potential for not allowing losses in the future (losses can only betaken to the extent of basis in the S-Corp)

...

Lane

h ewane to have 100% of the income on the
K1

That's illegal

S-Corp owners must be taxed in proportion to their ownership

...

Distributions and taxable profit are two different things

its no way one shareholder will take 100%v of the
profat

They can take it (physically) if there's a shareholder agreement.

...

But "distributive share of profits" must follow the corporate tax rules

...

Profits are TAXED based on % of ownership

"Distributive Share" is a tax term ... has nothing to do with what $ are actually distributed

...

BUT, again, this is something that both shareholders must agree to, or it amounts to theft.

...

Then if they DO agree, there will be tax benefits that come to the shareholder who was taxed on money not received later (lower gain on sale because his tax basis will be higher - ability to take a tax deduction for loss when the other shareholder may not because he reduced his basis when taking the distribution)

on line 1 on the k1 will be only 50% and line 15 will be 100%?

line 15 is AMT items

what line?

S corporation shareholder distributions are payments of corporate arnings that have previously been reported as income to the shareholders. The total distributions (except for dividends) -- including cash -- made to each shareholder and reported on line 17c of Schedule K should be reported on line 16d of Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation.

...

Again doesn't affect tax, just the basis

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS