How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  40+ years experience in taxes and financial planning
Type Your Finance Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband owes a lot of Tax. I own one house myself and we

Customer Question

My husband owes a lot of Tax. I own one house myself and we own one together. I don't want my house taken. Should I get a divorce?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

At this point a divorce would not make a difference. Assuming, since you do not say, that the debt is from filed joint returns you are obligated for any amount up to the entire tax obligation. However, if you did not file joint returns for the tax periods in question, only your husband is obligated to the tax agency. If that is the case they can place a lien on his 1/2 of the joint property only. They cannot take or lien anything owned only by you. Bank accounts, investment accounts etc follow the same rules.

Nevertheless, you should both seek appropriate assistance (CPA, attorney or Enrolled Agent in submitting an Offer in Compromise. This will enable you to settle the debt for less than full value thereby enabling you to put this behind you in reasonable time. You should pursue this avenue quickly to avoid the costs associated with disputing the debt.

Related Finance Questions