Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have a partnership and have grossed over six figures in

Customer Question

I have a partnership and have grossed over six figures in sales. I have started saving estimated taxes owed, as has my partner. I feel so unorganized and unofficial...constantly fearing that I am missing something. What is the best way for me to manage
my tax liability and be more aware of what I owe throughout the year?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

The best way to so this is to dummy-up a 1065 (partnership tax return) using turbo-tax or one of the other packages.

...

You'll have to project the full year. but as you get closer to the end of the year, less and less of your number will be projection.

...

Doing what's called a cash budget (where you show a projected amount for each month and the put in the actual as you get the information is a best practice from a management standpoint anyway - and an show you where your expenses are going, hence, where your real profits are coming from.

...

Doing this would then make re-projecting the tax return every so often much easier.

...

But from a purely TAX perspective, simply modeling a tax return knowing what you know, and projecting as best you can for the remainder of the tax year - can give you a very good feel (and one that becomes more accurate as time goes on).

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

..