How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 51 and Downs Syndrome. He was on Medicaid and I am

Customer Question

My son is 51 and Downs Syndrome. He was on Medicaid and I am not sure if he still is or not. I am his mother and his legal guardian. When I went on Medicare it seems he went on SSI Medicare, is he still on Medicaid? Is he still eligible for Medicaid?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Anne replied 2 years ago.


I'm Anne I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and it will be my pleasure to help you today.

The SSI income is not counted to determine eligibility for Community Medicaid. If the SSI recipient is seeking Medicaid to pay for nursing facility care, SSI is reduced to $30 a month.(This is for future reference)

It is important to note that if SSA denies SSI disability for any reason other than

lack of disability, you may still apply and be eligible for Medicaid. Your application will be submitted to a unit to determine your disability. The disability criteria used is generally the same as SSA's.

So, the answer to your question "is your son still eligible for Medicaid", the answer should be "yes"

I say should be, because I've been doing this job too long to ever speak for a government run program (IRS, SSA, etc)

However, now that you know that he SHOULD still be eligible for Medicaid, I personally would check. There are ways to check without having to go through any red tape at SSA. You (or he) can call his primary physician and see what they have on file, or you can call the pharmacy where he gets most of his medication and have them check what's on his file for him.

You would only need to contact SSA if you find out there's been a change.

I sincerely ***** ***** helps.

If you have any questions, please post them here & I'll be notified.

If this has answered your question,please take a moment to rate positive (smiley faces or stars)

It is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  Anne replied 2 years ago.

I see you read my answer, but didn't rate it.

Did you have any follow up questions? Is there any there else I can help you with?

Please note that it is only through positive ratings that we are paid for our time and knowledge.